Monday, February 05, 2007

If you spend enough $$$...


A few days ago it was reported that Lost Planet cost 40 million dollars to produce. Not a big deal because a lot of "next-gen" games have been costing upwards of 20+ million lately, and also beacause Lost Planet is a high profile game featuring a famous asian actor as the main protagonist.

Forbes has reported today that this amount actually breaks out to 20 million in game development and another 20 million in advertising. Wow, I am blown away by these numbers, spending 20 million on advertising will get you a lot of ad space and I've only seen a few commercials for the game. [Albeit I don't really watch that much television]. So, how has the spending worked out for Capcom? As of Mid-January, Capcom has shipped 1 million units of the game. At $60 a pop, they've raked in 60 million, I'd say it was a success. Will this usher in a new era of gaming advertising? How much will be spent advertising games like Halo 3 or MGS4? I say, way to go Capcom for realizing that in this era of over saturation, new franchises need to be exposed in order to gain success.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I ain't spendin $60/game for every game. If that trend goes through, looks like I'll be renting only, or something.

I think at least 1st party Nintendo games will stay below, staying with their strategy of being more affordable than the competition.