Friday, January 19, 2007

Wii Are In Business

Finally! My household has a Nintendo Wii. It only took 10 weeks to finally get one, but it's under control now. I did not get to spend a whole lot of time with this little bugger, only about an hour's time. In that hour I quickly realized what all the hype was about -- yet, that all the media's concerns with the unit seemed shockingly true as well.

My very first impression was, "Shit, that's tiny!" Then, I got my hands on the Wii-mote and it all began. I'll admit it takes some getting used to, but the more you play with it the more you realized just how great it really is. I quickly tested my hands (and body!) by cruising through Wii Sports, which I must say is great for what it is. My girlfriend said the graphics sucked on Wii. Suck on this. While trying to explain that it's not to be known as a graphical powerhouse, I realized I was wasting my time and decided to keep playing Wii Sports. Tennis... fun, Baseball... fun, Bowling... eeeh, they were all pretty good really. I was pleased, and tired at the same time. I under estimated the physical aspect of this type of gaming. Good stuff really.

After playing Wii Sports I took a shot at the new Zelda game -- frickin' sweet, let me tell you. My impressions here were in line with every other Zelda game I've put my hands on in the last eight years -- just loved it. The controls again took getting used to, but are considerably familiar and easy to be accustomed to. Graphics - meh, in line with what my girlfriend was saying earlier while playing Wii Sports, less than impressive, but not horrible. It's a step up from GameCube, and a whole hell of a lot of fun to play. More on that as I actually get some time with it.

Speaking of time, good to note Wii is a great console for EVERYONE. I would say yesterday may have been the first time in the last, well, ever that I can recall being in one room with all three of my brothers (10, 15, and 24) and all having a good time together. The age gap separates the family sometimes, but having Wii and being able to enjoy it's offerings as a group was really key. Nintendo hit something very special with this one, and I think that's true for all.

1 comment:

Intern In Limbo said...

Congrats on picking up a Wii! And you're definitely right about the console uniting the entire family. Strange, ain't it...