Monday, January 22, 2007

Wii Are Also in Business

Along with Tom, I too have joined the club of Wii owners. I was finally able to get one last Tuesday at the GameCrazy that I work at, and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not going to go into much detail as I will be writing a full Zelda: Twilight Princess review here in the next week, pending I can beat it; however, I am VERY happy with my Wii purchase.

I picked up the Wii, Zelda, component cables, and a classic controller. Unfortunately, I'm without a wireless connection in my house or nearby so I can't get online and scope out the Virtual Console and try out the trendy classic controller; however, I did order a USB to Ethernet adaptor online which should arrive next week and I'll be in business.

Though this is the first time I've actually owned and had a Wii in my own room, it's not the first time I've played one. I've spent countless [drunk] hours with Wii Sports and a little bit of time with Zelda prior to owning my own copies, so I knew what I was in for.

Let's just get this out there: Zelda is freakin' amazing! As I said before, I'm going to be writing a full review here soon so I won't go into the details, but I am having a second blast. Taking it slowly as I do all games, I'm on the second temple right now and just having a blast. And with the Wii controller, nothing gets old and the controls feel VERY fluid and perfectly fused with the Wii system (unlike GameSpot saying the controls feel tacked on).

Games don't seem to be as fun as they were when I was a kid playing Goldeneye and Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64... but Zelda: TP takes me right back to my favorite times as I kid.

One more thing here before I wrap this up and get back to beating this temple before I go to bed, I got the component cables for the Wii. Now, I don't own an HDTV, and I'd heard mixed reviews about the component cables, but in my opinion, I think they DO make a difference. On my TV they made the picture sharper and less blurry than my roommate's Wii running on an HDTV without component cables. But I have also heard that it depends on the TV, so you'll just have to find out on your own.

The Wii is worth it. Right now it's not a console that I see myself playing everyday or to replace my Xbox 360, but it is worth it just for the price, controller, unique gameplay, first party Nintendo games, and the Virtual Console.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Your and Tom's posts are making me jealous that I don't have access to wii here at college. Played a fair share over break though, can't wait to get back to Zelda.