Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2007: The Year of the Discriminating Gamer

Hope everyone’s Christmas was great and your New Year has kicked off to a good start. Mine turned out to be exceptionally satisfying and exhausting for more reasons that I thought apparent at the time. But with the New Year also brings along with it New Year deals from local retailers looking to unload merchandise at slightly cheaper prices than from the year before.

This fact led me to EB Games (where else, right?) where for a short time they offered double for what they usually give for those looking to trade in their original Xbox consoles. Frankly, my Xbox hadn’t been used in quite some time (made quite apparent by the amount of dust collected) and I wasn’t sure if another deal like this would ever show itself (regularly, EB Games/GameStop gives about $40 for Xbox consoles). So throwing away all better judgment I decided to plunge myself into the realm of Microsoft’s 360 machine, wondering if I was over saturating my media library with superfluous entertainment. What I’ve experienced in the days afterward has been something of a gaming anomaly.

I quickly realized that if I was going to drop serious money on a console, why not go all out? It already came with a free game (Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter) so I decided to pick up another, Gears of War. Gears of War led me to pick up an Xbox Live membership just to see what the online aspect was all about (the ‘Pro’ set does come with a headset, after all) and my likeness for the first person shooter produced the thought that I might not be so letdown from spending so much. Well…yes and no.

Let’s get the negative out of the way. The first time I put Gears of War in the 360 the game acted up. I was unable to start a new game in any of the modes available and doing so only led me to a loading screen that immediately jumped back to the story select screen. Inspecting the disc for any damage, I saw noticeable circular scratches that I’m quite sure I didn’t etch on the surface. Nonetheless, I felt supremely let down. A new Xbox console and already a game had malfunctioned. Nintendo and Sony had never let me down in such a way and already an hour into Microsoft's console I had experienced problems.

I tried searching message boards in an attempt to secure a solution to the problem. I quickly found other Gears of War gamers, who might not have experienced the exact same problem, but had definitely had worse things happen to their 360 consoles (the dreaded three-light syndrome seemed to pop up the most). Most who had problems contacted Microsoft directly and were met with a startling lack of response from the big M. Some were told that Microsoft was aware of the problem but could offer no short-term solutions, which inevitably led to plenty of pissed-off gamers clutching broken 360’s. I was afraid the same would surely happen to me and was already expecting the worst.

However, my problems were beginning to fade. Having saw many gamers determine a correlation between Gears of Wars malfunctioning and the Xbox Gamertag ID, I decided to sign out and see if the problem continued. It did not and I was soon enjoying Gears of War, well, about as much as I could before noticing that I could not save if I was not logged in with an ID. Yet, the next day, when I signed in and tried GoW again, the problem seemed to vanish. After the initial debacle I’ve had zero problems as I was able to create a new game and soon was playing one of the best FPS titles I had ever laid eyes on.

Despite the small setback in software, my reception of the 360 has been monstrously high. I never thought I’d ‘sell out’ to Microsoft but the 360 didn’t have to run long to win me over. The user interface is one of the friendliest aspects of the machine, with options galore to fine tune everything from the custom look of the background to playing music through an iPod…even while playing a game itself, it’s still possible to select music. Looking at all of the options available to the console itself, it certainly had me wondering if the Wii or the PS3 had any chance to keep up in the three console race for control of the market share.

I’ve tried looking at the problem objectively. Though I haven’t had the chance to play anything for the PS3, from what I’ve heard, despite free online gaming, the juggernaut of consoles has had enough setbacks to change many gamer's minds. Reports and opinions from dissatisfied gamers have seen some consoles being returned to various retailers (no doubt scratching their heads as to why). Of the user complaints I browsed, I always saw a mentioning of the lack of resources the PS3 have in comparison to the 360 (and though it probably wouldn't be fair to throw the PS2 in with this comparioson, truth be told, I've never liked the boot up screen the PS2 utilized). Should Sony see success in the coming years it might have to do with changing the user menus and trying to keep up with Microsoft’s easy-to-grasp interface.

Nintendo’s Wii, on the other hand, has an interesting quandary of its own. Having created the notion of ‘remote based gaming’, Nintendo is definitely looking at the industry as a whole and trying to change the way gamers (and developers) see and experience the titles they play. Call of Duty 3 showed tremendous promise with its ‘point and shoot’ tactics and I have a feeling Nintendo can build on CoD’s success with even more FPS titles (hopefully with much improved graphics), each fleshed out with a sense of individuality. The Wii-mote has so much promise that I’m sure Nintendo is more than up to the challenge.

Yet for all the joys that the Wii is sure to bring, I’m still not left with the same sense of awe I had with the 360 and can’t help but wonder if Nintendo is on the right path or merely creating old traps for itself. The television channel menu system has its perks but I still feel as if they’re more than a few steps behind Microsoft in terms of building a rounded console. Things like the free online browser and the Weather and News channels help to boost interest, but for me the deal breaker was getting to relive old titles through the Virtual Console. Having dealt with both the Virtual Console and the Marketplace, at the moment, I feel more inclined to buy old classic games on the 360 rather than the Wii. Surely, Nintendo will expand it’s library to include the kind of classics everyone grew up with in the ’80’s and early 90’s, but then here’s the problem: a good example can be made of Street Fighter II, which can be purchased on both the 360 and the Wii (the 360 has the ‘Hyper Fighting’ Edition while the Wii has the original SFII). However, Microsoft allows online gaming with some of the downloadable titles and have leaderboards that track every gamer who's played. Specifically for SFII, you can challenge others and be ranked accordingly. On the Wii you’re stuck to playing with another friend in the room and at which you won’t be ranked versus anyone (speaking of which, where does Nintendo’s online plans figure in Wii development?). So considering all of that, which version would you buy?

Though I'm positive the respective backlog of classic games will take a seat to latest and greatest, the deciding factor for a number of gamers (besides shortage of product) is price. Will you shell out a significant amount of cash for extra perks or spend half that for a genuine innovative gaming experience? Only now are we beginning to see the effects of the ‘HD Age’, at which Microsoft clearly welcomed with open arms and at which Nintendo has held at arms length. Having bought a new LCD TV (again with the help of the after New Year's deals) I can appreciate all the graphical perks a set of component cable (nicely included with the console, I might add) can afford. I’m still waiting to buy component cables for my Wii, but having played it on a HD set with just regular cables, the difference in graphical output is strangely depressing. I’ve never noticed the difference more. As more families begin to upgrade their entertainment centers, so too should the brands that produce such equipment. Not that graphics make the game entirely, but if you saw the difference in visuals I’m seeing now, you might feel more inclined to pick up a 360 as well.

Anyway, if it seems like I’m falling all over this machine it’s because I am. I’m too impressed with how Microsoft’s 360 has been built. However, not every family has the means to stay on top of three different systems, all of which have their own console specific games that claim to be 'must-own' titles. At the rate the industry is going now, most gamers have already chosen sides with their next-gen systems and things might only get worse because of price discrimination. Fortunately, Nintendo and Microsoft both have moderately priced consoles that will at least attempt to match every dollar spent in regards to entertainment experienced. Unfortunately, I now have a copy of Jet Set Radio from the original Xbox, currently functioning as a paperweight due to the somewhat limited backward compatibility. How many years will it be until it shows up in the Marketplace?

No comments: